You, Me, We
Why would you not want to help everyone
around you be as great as they can be?
Do More Good Podcast
Hello, welcome to the little bit of the online world dedicated to Me and You!
Increasingly, it's in this virtual space that I'm supporting people like YOU to slay challenge, to see change,
to achieve results
You're probably here for one of the reasons below. And you might not have admitted that reason out loud yet. And that's fine. If you want to work with someone who will challenge your thinking, support your growth and be a constant source of calm, I am your woman
Or you might be here totally by mistake - if so, read on anyway - maybe the universe is trying to tell you something!
So, who are YOU and what has found you here?
• you're the newly appointed Manager (manager by role, not necessarily by title) of one or more people and you were promoted on the basis of your practitioner prowess but have never managed anyone before and have never had any training. You're now in post, and everyone is expecting you to magically be as amazing a manager as you were a subject specialist. And that terrifies you
• you're Manager of a small team and have been in post for a number of years. You've learned about management from examples you've experienced yourself (good and bad), but have never had any formal training. You get by but there are areas you avoid: confrontation, feedback, poor performance etc, and you're worried one day you, soon, you may need these skills and you want to learn them, fast
• you've read (or heard about) the headline findings of my wellbeing research, want to take a proactive approach to your organisational response and have identified that a bespoke management training refresher project for everyone with line management responsibility would be useful and timely, especially with the new world order emerging post Covid-19 lockdown
• you're the leader of a team, worried about losing that amazing "bright young thing" who has been working with you for a couple of years but who didn't have the skills or experience for the internal promotion you've just had to offer to someone externally. You know with coaching and support, the internal candidate would hands-down have been the better fit but you don't have time to add that coaching to your already monumental workload
• you're the bright young thing, from the example above, gutted about losing-out on the role and wondering how to get the skills and experience you need to get the next role while working in an organisation that isn't set up for development opportunities
• you've just secured your dream role, the one you know is going to be pivotal to the rest of your career. It's a stretch role - everyone knows it - and you're determined to make it work. But your inner critic won't shut up - s/he keeps reminding you of the bits that aren't yet in your comfort zone. You need to nail this first few months whilst not over-delivering and setting yourself up for burn-out, overwhelm and fear of failure
• you're Head of Fundraising in a charity you love but sometimes your role is a lonely place. Your CEO is supportive but doesn't 'get' Fundraising. What you really need is regular support, camaraderie a safe space with a small group of others who live the same struggles as you
• you're Senior Leader in a charity where you just can't crack something about the culture - despite numerous attempts, the divide between departments / sites / locations just isn't being bridged and whilst not exactly toxic, there certainly isn't yet the 'One Team' culture you crave
• you're a super-committed passionate fundraiser or other charity sector professional and are struggling: with life; with work pressures; with a particular individual or set of circumstances; or with a cumulation of a number of these. You're not used to not coping and it is only in reading these words that you've admitted it to yourself. You know you need to make changes but you don't know where to start and don't want to admit to anyone else you need help. You're possibly not yet in full-blown overwhelm, but you recognise that is your current direction of travel
• you're Director of Income Generation (or equivalent) in a large charity where you have multiple reports, each of whom have multiple reports. You would like to be able to provide additional support to your direct reports, to help them support their staff during these unstable times. But you have no capacity to do so yourself. And, deep down, you're feeling a little lost and a little uncertain too but you don't want to admit that to yourself, let alone anyone else!
• you're CEO of a local or regional £2m - £8m charity. You struggle to recruit staff with the skills and experience you need at the salary you are able to offer. Staff turnover is higher than you'd like and you're struggling to see how you can make the strategic shift and step-change you seek within the structure and the resources you have at your disposal
• you're a proactive leader, already with organisational culture and wellbeing front of mind and on your agenda but are keen to know what more could be done and what impact and benefit further focus could have
• you recognised a bit of yourself in more than one of these examples and are looking for an impartial professional to use as a short-term sounding board and mentor to help you through a specific period or challenge
• you're not really sure whether you're any of the above but have heard about me and wanted to know a bit more
Whatever the reason you're here - Hello!
Pull up a chair, grab a cuppa, and let me help you find out more
This is me - the real, at home, un airbrushed, stuff in the background of the selfie me - Claire Warner
entrepreneur, fundraiser, leader, embarrassing mum, forgetful wife, fierce ally, occasional potty-mouth, cancer survivor, motivated mentor, loyal friend
and much of the time, totally winging it!
I've spent the whole of my 20+ year career in the For-Good sector. All I've ever known is working a sector committed to securing the income needed to help change the world. And what an awesome place it is to be!
I've honed my fundraising & management craft in some inspiring organisations across the country. I've had some huge highs and a few fairly depressing startling lows. But I've learnt a lot about me and our sector along the way
Now I work with people and organisations across the UK and beyond, each with the desire to allow and enable their people to be the best they can be for as long as they can keep them
And I am at my happiest and my absolute when working with these like-minded people - my #squad
I use the 20+ years of training, skills and experience at practitioner, manager, leader and mentor level in my armoury, to champion attention and investment in:
fundraising and fundraisers
management & leadership training
training and development
I LOVE, that I my career allows me to measure my own success through the successes of those whose teams, talents and careers I'm supporting and nurturing, many of whom are successfully changing the world and leading teams of their own
A period of significant illness of my own in 2016/17, which forced me to take a year out of work all together, acted to further cement my commitment working with those who are facing challenge and facing change. I work as a Consultant & Mentor to support exactly these people
In 2018, I founded Charity Well, an initiative bringing focus to the wellbeing of fundraisers and others in the charity sector
"The Charity Well project is one of the few activities I can think of where someone has decided to draw a line in the sand and say “no more”
Rather than waiting for permission or incremental change, and having enquired
and found no other current activity around the topic,
Claire took it upon herself to make a better sector for tomorrow"
extract from Shortlisted #ChangeCollective Award nomination 2020
Our mission is to change the lives of fundraisers, managers and leaders
(including those who don't yet feel they 'own' the title)
by helping them to succeed and to lead with confidence,
with credibility, with respect, with courage,
and as part of a balanced life.
And, to instil those same attributes and values
in their colleagues, now and in the future
loyalty - integrity - drive - bravery - balance - fun
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress,
and working together is success"
What do you want to challenge / change / achieve yourself and/or for your organisation, and how can I help you?
I work with individuals and organisations in a few different ways:
I am a trained Mentor and work with individuals who want support, accountability and/or guidance through either a particular change or challenge and those who want regular ongoing external perspective.
My Coaching work is similar, although I'm usually engaged by the organisation rather than the individual, and I help people up-level into new or stretch
This enables organisations to retain amazing people and support & train them on-the-job into roles they're not yet quite ready for.
And increasingly, more and more of my coaching work comes from providing management coaching and training to those moving into their first management roles and for those who've been managing for some time but never received any formal training.
The Consultancy work I've become known for covers a variety of project areas, all mainly covered under the Fundraising; Management and Organisational Culture umbrellas. I've under taken Management Team reviews for Trustees; I've written People Strategies for organisations wanting to up their focus on and commitment to their staff; I've undertaken organisation wellbeing research and projects; I've done succession planning; I've led fundraising culture and organisation culture projects; I've facilitated away-days. And throughout, I've championed my mantra - People before Policy
I also have some off-the-shelf and customisable products and Training courses, specifically designed for those in Fundraising and Charity Management & Leadership, which you can explore soon
Increasingly over the last 2 or 3 years, I've also taken on more speaking engagements, now regularly being asked to talk about charity and fundraiser wellbeing, and (totally differently!) about living with and after Breast Cancer (and the Facebook post that resulted in multiple national tv and newspaper interview requests)
And finally, there's my sector wellbeing initiative, Charity Well and my ongoing work to improve the wellbeing of all those working in the charity sector. My initial research study in 2019, secured the views and opinions of 700+ fundraisers and was shortlisted for an Institute of Fundraising Award in 2020. The headline findings of the study were featured in the June 2020 edition of Civil Society's Fundraising Magazine. My work with organisations on culture and wellbeing is based on my 20+year career experience; on the research I've undertaken into the links between productivity, performance and wellbeing; and on the 700+ strong voices within our independent study
In response to some of the issues highlighted in the research, I created Shine the popular, free 5-day wellbeing challenge for charity sector professionals, which is run quarterly. Sign-up to wait list for the next challenge here
I also have gained a number of wellbeing-focussed clients to my mentoring / coaching and consulting projects
There is much more work and campaigning planned under the Charity Well umbrella, keep checking back to find out our latest plans